Undergraduate Student Essay Competition
As part of the Shifting Paradigms Conference 2018, we are holding an essay competition, which will give gifted undergraduate students the opportunity to present their papers at an academic conference on one of the themes of the conference:
● Growing inequality
● The future of technology
● A changing climate
One winning essay will be selected. Travel, accommodation, and ticket costs will be covered for the winner of the competition. Make sure to submit your paper – don’t pass up the chance!
Submitting an entry
The deadline for submissions is 23.59, Wednesday November 7, 2018
Entries must be submitted electronically, by email to with the subject as ‘Student Essay Competition | [YOUR NAME]’
Entries must be submitted with a completed proforma cover page which is
available to download here.
Word count should be between 2000 and 2500 words (excluding any appendices and bibliographies)
Submissions must be in English
Submissions must be work from current undergraduate students (still studying as on the academic year 2018-2019)
All entries must be submitted as a word doc, pages must be numbered and
the word count should be written on the front page.
Applicants will be assessed on topicality, clarity of language, quality of analysis and real-world application.
Best of luck!
The small print
1. Submissions can be either a piece of work submitted as an assignment, or an original essay or case study.
2. Group submissions can be made, but expenses will be paid for only one representative of the group to attend the conference. One submission per person or group.
3. The winner(s) will be selected by the Shifting Paradigms 2018 organising committee whose decision is final.
4. Winners and their tutor will be notified by email at least one week prior to the conference.
5. Winners will be invited to the Shifting Paradigms Conference 2018 taking place 16th-18th November. Winning students will be given the opportunity to present their essay as part of the conference.
6. Winners will be given accommodation for the conference and have access to a travel stipend if necessary.
7. The winning entries will be published on the Shifting Paradigms and Rethinking Economics websites.